Spiced Sweet Potato Oven Fries
These sweet potato oven fries have all the flavor with none of the guilt.
These sweet potato wedges are so good that you'll want to make them every week. A simple spice mix, just the right amount of olive oil, and the perfect oven temperature are key to making properly proportioned sweet potato spears crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Adjust the ratios of the spices to mute or amplify the heat level. Serve these with everything from breakfast eggs to a steak dinner.
Equipment: cutting board; chef’s knife; measuring spoons; small and large mixing bowls; rubber spatula or wooden spoon; sheet pan; offset metal spatula;
Ingredients: 3 large or 5 medium sweet potatoes or jewel yams
2 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon hot paprika
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise into quarters or sixths, depending on size. Place them in a large mixing bowl and toss well to coat with olive oil.
3. Sprinkle the sweet potato wedges with the garlic powder, paprika, and salt, mixing well to coat evenly.
4. Place the sweet potato wedges on a rimmed baking sheet, flesh side down. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully flip the wedges over onto the other flesh side using an offset metal spatula. Bake for 5-10 minutes longer.
5. Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven. Serve immediately.
Makes 4-6 side dish servings.