Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
This is what you make when you don't feel like cooking but you really feel like feasting!
Some days, cooking is just a drag...even for those of us who love to do it! Doing the dishes and cleaning all the pots and pans is for most of us the worst part. Well, we can eliminate at least the pots and pans and replace them with one, single sheet pan! A sheet pan - especially a full-size sheet pan - is such a lifesaver. You can feed the whole family without doing much more than the knife work, and it cooks in a matter of minutes. Season, toss, throw it on the pan, and broil. No stirring. No searing. No grilling. No babysitting. It's a dream! And it tastes pretty darn good, too!
Equipment: cutting board; chef’s knife; measuring spoons; large mixing bowl; wooden spoon or rubber spatula; sheet pan or shallow roasting pan; tongs
Fajita Ingredients: 2 pounds skirt steak, cut into ½-inch strips
3-4 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 bell peppers, seeded and sliced into ½-inch strips
2 large onions, halved and sliced crosswise into ½-inch strips
flour or corn tortillas
salsas (tomato and/or tomatillo) lime wedges
crema or sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to broil with the top rack on the highest position.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the steak with the oil and spices, mixing well to coat evenly. Add the pepper and onions and stir well to combine.
3. Place the steak, peppers and onions evenly in one layer on the sheet pan. Broil for 10 minutes, until the peppers and onions have charred and softened, and the steak has cooked.
4. Meanwhile, toast or warm your tortillas.
It's all about technique, not torture!
“Lightly mark your tortillas over the open flame of your stovetop to give them a toasted, smokey taste.”
5. Remove the sheet pan from the oven. Stir the steak, pepper and onions before serving with salsas, lime wedges, and optional crema/sour cream.
Makes 4 servings.