Salad of Persimmon, Apple & Dandelion Greens with Halloumi Croutons and Turmeric-Cider Vinaigrette
An elegant and impressive composed salad of epic flavor as vibrant as its color.
This seemingly complex composed salad is really just a composition of harmonious components. Bitter and peppery dandelion greens perfectly complement sweet Fuyu persimmons and Lucy Rose apples. This combination produces a melody so vibrant and delicious that the resulting taste is actually quite clean bright. The turmeric-cider vinaigrette helps to marry the persimmon and apple with the sharp greens. The pistachio-fennel seed dukkah, pomegranate arils, and halloumi "croutons" provide a little surprise, more jewel tone splendor, and some toasted saltiness respectively. Every bite is off the charts.
Equipment: cutting board; chef’s knife; wet and dry measuring cups; measuring spoons; large and small mixing bowls; whisk; mini food processor/chopper; small nonstick sauté pan; tongs
Turmeric Vinaigrette Ingredients:
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon apple cider
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
¼ cup olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Salad Ingredients: 1 bunch dandelion greens
2 Fuyu persimmons 2 Lucy Rose apples
¼ cup pomegranate arils
½ cup diced halloumi
2 tablespoons pistachio-fennel dukkah*
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
micro parsley or micro chervil for garnish
*To make the pistachio-fennel dukkah, pulse 2 tablespoons shelled pistachios with 2 teaspoons fennel seeds in a mini food processor until a coarse crumb forms.
1. First assemble the vinaigrette. In a small mixing bowl combine the vinegar, apple cider, turmeric, and Dijon mustard. Using a whisk, stir the mixture while slowly adding the olive oil until the vinaigrette it emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Organize the dandelion leaves on the cutting board from biggest to smallest. Arrange the largest leaves on a small platter or divided on four individual salad plates. Set aside.
ILOC tip: if you cannot find dandelion greens, use another bitter lettuce like arugula. Swap the Lucy Rose apples for Pink Lady or Honeycrisp. Make the dish vegan by eliminating the halloumi. If you cannot find any micro greens, use chopped fresh herbs.
3. Trim and discard the tops of the persimmons. Slice each persimmon in half from top to bottom. Turn each half on its flat side and thinly slice each half crosswise into 10 slices. Set aside.
4. Quarter each apple from top to bottom. Turn each quarter on its side and slice away the core and seeds. Slice each of the eight quarters into 5 thin slices. Set aside
5. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add the diced halloumi. Cook until crisped and golden brown, turning with tongs to cook on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
6. Place fans of five slices each of persimmon and apple on the platter or plates. Sprinkle with the pomegranate arils, pistachio-fennel seeds dukkah, and halloumi "croutons."
7. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle lightly with turmeric vinaigrette. Add a pinch or two of micro greens. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.