Quick Cream of Tomato Soup
It takes just three ingredients and 20 minutes to make this classic comfort food.
Every great grilled cheese sandwich needs a homemade bowl of this warm tomato bisque for dunking. The texture is smooth and velvety, and the taste is just as it's billed: creamy tomato. Grab two medium onions, some olive oil, two cans of Marzano tomatoes, and a cup of cream. That's all you need, along with some salt and pepper, to make one the simplest and best American soups.
3 tablespoons olive oil 2 medium yellow onions, finely diced
2, 28-ounce cans (6 cups) San Marzano tomatoes
1 cup heavy cream
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil, swirling the pan to coat the bottom. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add a generous pinch of salt. Stir constantly for another 5 minutes until the onion is softened and translucent, but not at all brown.
2. Add the canned tomatoes to the sautéed onions. Mix well to combine. Sprinkle generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered for approximately 10 minutes.
3. If time is of no consequence, allow the soup to cool to warm or room temperature before pureeing in the blender.
ILOC tip: if you need to puree the soup immediately, be sure to begin blending on the lowest setting while holding the lid closed, covered with a clean dish towel to prevent the steam from pushing the lid off the pitcher.
4. Pour the soup in the blender, in two batches, if necessary. Blend until smooth. Stir in the cream and taste. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
5. Serve immediately...with grilled cheese!
Makes 6-8 servings.