Devil's Food Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
Updated: Apr 3, 2022
Calling all chocolate lovers and eager bakers!
These are classic chocolate cupcakes dipped in the simplest of frostings: chocolate ganache. Easy to make, they can be enjoyed as is or used as a blank chocolate canvas to decorate any way you like. Be sure to use a high-quality cocoa powder so that you get the most intense chocolate flavor and color. This recipe easily adapts to two cake pans for the perfect devil's food layer cake!
Equipment: large mixing bowls; dry and wet measuring cups; measuring spoons; cutting board; small and large mixing bowls; whisk; hand or standing mixer; rubber spatula; wooden spoon; (2) cupcake tins; paper cupcake liners; small saucepan
Cupcake Ingredients: 2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking soda 1 teaspoon kosher salt 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 2 cups sugar
¾ cup Dutch process cocoa 3 large eggs 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 cup water
½ cup whole milk
Ganache Ingredients: 1½ cups heavy cream
1 pound dark chocolate, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place paper liners in the cupcake tins. Set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder and kosher salt and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Then mix in the cocoa powder. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well to incorporate after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix well to combine. Carefully mix in the water and milk.
4. Fill each cupcake liner ¾ of the way with batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the cake.
5. While the cupcakes bake, prepare the ganache. Place the chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl and set aside. Bring the heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Let the chocolate sit for 1-2 minutes to soften in the hot cream. Stir until most of the chocolate is melted. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir gently until completely smooth.
ILOC tip: chopped dark chocolate can be substituted with 1 pound of semisweet or dark chocolate chips
6. Let the cupcakes cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool for another 10 minutes.
7. Dip each cupcake top in the ganache, slightly twisting your wrist as you lift it to make that delicate, decorative peak.
8. Enjoy or decorate immediately. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Makes 24 cupcakes.