Dark Chocolate Bread Pudding
Updated: Mar 25, 2020
This is the ultimate recipe for an easy and decadent dessert !
This is a classic bread pudding made with a dark chocolate-studded bread from the Berkshire Mountain Bakery. Any bread will do (challah or brioche are always a good choice), but the sourdough boule flecked with giant chunks of chocolate is another level. It’s a wonderful dish for parties and large gatherings since it can be made ahead and is served easily family style.
Equipment: cutting board, chef’s knife, bread knife, wet and dry measuring cups, measuring spoons, large and medium mixing bowls, rubber spatula, 2-quart casserole, shallow roasting pan, whisk, wooden spoon
Ingredients: 8 thick slices day-old chocolate chip bread, cubed 3 cups whole milk ¾ cup heavy cream ¾ cup sugar 3 large eggs 3 tablespoons butter, melted seeds from half a vanilla bean ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
“Stale bread makes the best bread pudding! ILOC tip: If you slice and cube the bread the day before you make the bread pudding and leave it uncoverd overnight, you will have the perfect bread pudding bread!”
“If you don't have chocolate chip bread, substitute with 8 thick slices of sourdough plus 2 cups of hand-cut dark chocolate or dark chocolate chunks."
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF; place the rack in the center of the oven.
2. Place the bread pieces in a large bowl. Add the milk and cream, and stir well to soak all pieces. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy, and lightened in color. Add the melted butter, vanilla seeds, and cinnamon. Pour this mixture over the milk-soaked bread (then stir in the chocolate chunks if using regular sourdough sans chocolate).
4. Pour the mixture in a casserole set in a shallow roasting pan and prepare a water bath: pour enough boiling water in the roasting pan to reach half-way up the sides of the casserole.
5. Bake until set and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
6. Remove the bread pudding from the roasting pan. Serve immediately or chilled from the refrigerator the next day.
Makes 12 servings.