Updated: Feb 18
If you like a baking project, this one couldn't be cuter or more fun!
Lots of people do dessert for breakfast, but not many do breakfast for dessert! Enter cookie cereal, a mix of miniature sugar cookies, meringues, and marshmallows that can be fashioned for any holiday or theme your heart desires: Valentine's Day, homemade Lucky Charms, or just a celebration of your favorite colors and shapes! Break out the miniature cookie cutters, rolling pin, food coloring, and sanding sugar, and let your imagination run wild!
Equipment: dry and wet measuring cups; measuring spoons; large and small mixing bowls; hand or standing mixer with paddle and whisk attachments, rubber spatula; rolling pin; cookie cutters; parchment paper or silicone baking sheets; sheet pans; offset spatula; cooling rack; small saucepan, candy thermometer; heatproof rubber spatula; 9x9 glass pan or silicone tray; sifter or miniature strainer; pastry bag and tip or resealable bag
1 batch Best-Ever Sugar Cookie Dough
1/3 batch Homemade Marshmallows
Food 52 Meringues using 2 egg whites
"If you want to make the cookie cereal vegan, you can swap the butter in the cookie dough for margarine, and you can make the meringues from aquafaba instead of egg whites."
1. Make the marshmallows and meringues according to instructions one day in advance of the cookie dough. Cut marshmallows into tiny squares, and pipe the meringues into tiny kisses of similar size. Store in airtight containers and set aside.
2. Color the cookie dough as desired and preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two cookie sheets with silicone liners or parchment paper. Set aside.
3. Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll to ¼-inch thickness. If using sanding sugars, sprinkle and press lightly into the dough with the rolling pin. Using tiny cookie cutters, cut the shapes and arrange in rows on the lined sheet pan. Gather the scrap dough and roll again to cut more shapes, or rewrap for later use.
4. Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown/crisp.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack. Once completely cool, the cookies may be combined with the marshmallows and meringues.
6. Serve in a bowl with milk and a spoon and enjoy!
Makes approximately 8-12 cups.