Banana Cookie Butter Hearts
A festive and fun twist for the one you love.
Are you bananas for someone? Make these delicious hearts and they'll be bananas for you, too! Making this recipe entirely from scratch would take hours; making it with store-bought frozen puff pastry takes about 30 minutes. If you have any bananas hanging around that are on their way out, this is the perfect thing to do with them that isn't banana bread. If you don't like cookie butter use Nutella, peanut butter, or cream cheese, all of which would be equally good. I cross my heart...!
Equipment: cutting board; rolling pin; chef’s knife; measuring cup; butter knife or offset spatula; small mixing bowl; fork; pastry brush; sheet pan; parchment paper; spatula; cooling rack; small sieve (optional)
Ingredients: 2 rectangular or square sheets puff pastry, defrosted
flour for dusting
¾ cup cookie butter (speculoos or Biscoff butter)
2-3 ripe or very ripe bananas, fork-mashed
1 large egg + 1 teaspoon cold water (egg wash)
powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
ILOC tip: It's just as important to know how to procure puff pastry as it is to work with it. Some puff pastry is made as it should be with butter, while other brands are made with vegetable oil (far less desirable from an authenticity and taste point of view, but advantageous for certain dietary restrictions and certainly less expensive).
ILOC tip: when working with puff pastry, it's all about technique, not torture. Store-bought puff pastry should stay frozen until the day you’re going to use it. Once the puff pastry is defrosted (1 hour on the counter or 4 hours in the refrigerator), it must be used that day.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line sheet pan(s) with parchment paper and set aside.
2. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the puff pastry sheets to an even thickness on all four sides for each sheet. Spread the cookie butter in an even layer on one of the puff pastry sheets. Top with the mashed banana.
3. Place the remaining puff pastry sheet on top of the banana-cookie butter sheet. Using a chef's knife - or pizza cutter - carefully cut 1-inch strips from top to bottom on the long side (if working with a rectangle).
4. Twist each strip 3-4 times and then form into a heart shape on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Repeat with all the strips (you should get 8-10).
5. Brush hearts with the egg wash. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
6. Remove the hearts from the oven and set on a cooling rack.
7. Let the hearts rest for 5-10 minutes before sprinkling with powdered sugar, if desired, and serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
Makes 8-10 hearts.