Bacon, Egg & Cheese Oven Fries
Updated: Feb 27
All the best breakfast flavors in a versatile and easy side dish.
Is there any classic combo more scrumptious than a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich? This recipe takes those ingredients to dress up a basic baked potato wedge. Russet potatoes are baked and then tossed with crumbled bacon and grated Parmesan cheese. Egg yolk is whisked into a homemade chipotle mayonnaise, the most delectable dip. Serve this as a side dish with steak or fish, or as a nibble or hors d'oeuvre.
Equipment: cutting board; chef’s knife; measuring spoons; large mixing bowls; rubber spatula or wooden spoon; sheet pan; offset metal spatula; box grater or microplane; whisk
Chipotle Mayonnaise Ingredients: 1 large egg yolk 2 teaspoons lemon juice or white wine vinegar 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard ¾ cup avocado or canola oil
2-3 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle in adobo
kosher salt to taste
Oven Fries Ingredients: 3 large or 5 medium Russet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled or finely chopped
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. To make the mayonnaise, whisk the egg yolk, lemon juice, and mustard in a large mixing bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly add in the oil, drop by drop, until the mayonnaise begins to emulsify and thicken. At this point, add the remaining oil in a slow, steady stream. Once all the oil is incorporated and the mayonnaise is made, stir in the chopped chipotle. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
ILOC tip: store any leftover mayonnaise in the refrigerator for up to one week.
3. Slice the potatoes lengthwise into quarters or sixths, depending on size. Place them on a rimmed baking sheet and toss well to coat with olive oil.
4. Sprinkle the potato wedges with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, mixing well to coat evenly.
5. Set the potato wedges flesh side down on the sheet pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully flip the wedges over onto the other flesh side using an offset metal spatula. Bake for 5-10 minutes longer, or until tender and golden brown.
6. Remove the potatoes from the oven and toss with the bacon, Parmesan, and parsley. Serve immediately with the chipotle mayonnaise.
Makes 4-6 side dish servings.