Peanut butter cups puddled with a chewy chocolate center, oh my!
Peanut butter and chocolate go together like tomato and mozzarella or bacon and eggs. Perfectly paired in the perfect portion, these peanut butter cups with fudge centers are chewy and tender. decadent and delicious. It might be hard to have just one!
Equipment: dry and wet measuring cups; measuring spoons; small and large mixing bowls; hand or standing electric mixer; rubber spatula; mini muffin tins; small saucepan; cooling rack; wooden spoon; squeeze bottle (optional)
Cookie Cup Ingredients: ½ cup butter, softened
½ cup creamy natural peanut butter
½ cup sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1¼ cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Fudge Filling Ingredients: 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate 1, 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ¼ cup chopped peanuts
Maldon or flake finishing salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease the muffins tins with butter or oil. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Set aside.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix until just combined.
ILOC tip: use natural peanut butter as opposed to a big-name brand that is sweetened and highly processed. Not only is it better for you, but the cookie cup will be perfectly sweetened as opposed to too much so.
4. Shape the batter evenly in 1-inch balls, placing each ball in a miniature muffin cup. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Using the end of a wooden spoon or a small rolling pin, make an indentation in the center of each cup to make room for the fudge filling.
6. Let the peanut butter cups cool for a few minutes in the tins after having made the indentations, before filling with the fudge mixture.
7. To make the fudge filling, melt the chocolate over a low heat in a small saucepan (or microwave in a glass bowl until melted). Stir in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until smooth. Fill each peanut butter cookie cup with the filling using a spoon or squeeze bottle. Sprinkle the cups with chopped peanuts and finishing salt.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Makes 30 cookie cups.