Updated: Mar 31, 2021
Mallomars are kosher for Passover when you make them from scratch with matzo!
Matzomars. As in Matzo Mallomars. Yup. That’s right. A kosher-for-Passover Mallomar is within reach...as long as you have matzo, marshmallow Fluff (homemade or storebought), and good dark chocolate. If you can get your hands on Rakusen's of Yorkshire tea matzos, then you can make giant matzomars, the size of moon pies. Otherwise, you can cut matzo into small squares or use kosher-for-Passover "tam tams." If you want to make homemade mallomars but keeping kosher for Passover is not a concern, use Carr's crackers for a great taste and a round shape.
Equipment: cutting board, small serrated knife; rimmed sheet pan; wax paper; offset spatula; small mixing bowl; fork
6 matzo squares or a box of matzo crackers, such as Rakusen's of Yorkshire or Tam Tams
3 cups of homemade marshmallow or store-bought marshmallow Fluff
1 pound semi-sweet or dark chocolate
sprinkles or edible confetti for decorating
1. Line a sheet pan with wax paper and set aside.
2. Carefully saw each matzo square into 4 equal strips. Gently saw back and forth without breaking the matzo to create a score that you then can gently snap/break. Repeat the same technique on each strip, divided into four equal squares. Or use matzo crackers or Tam Tams and skip this step!
3. Spread a dollop of Fluff on a small matzo square or cracker. Top with another small matzo square or cracker. Repeat until all of the "cookie sandwiches" are assembled.
4. Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl or in a double-boiler. Stir with a fork until smooth.
5. Using the fork, gently dip each matzo cookie sandwich in the chocolate to cover. Carefully lift the dipped sandwich from the chocolate and place on the wax paper-lined sheet pan. Repeat until all are dipped. Decorate with sprinkles, etc.
6. Place the sheet pan in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, or until the chocolate has set. Serve cold or room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to one week.
Makes two dozen Matzomars.